Born to Hand Jive




When asked what my favourite film is, I’ll usually reply Grease or Dirty Dancing. The music, the desire, the dancing… what is not to love about these films. I grew up watching these – and honestly – I wouldn’t change it for anything. In years to come, these will be my go to films to watch.

Let’s take Grease.

Image result for greaseSet in the summer of 1959, we see Danny and Sandy. As my gran would say “loves young dream.” Filled with humour, love and even heartbreak – this has got to be one of the best films out there. You defo can’t help but sing – and even dance – when this is on the telly. If our proms were like the school dance in this film – maybe it would have been worth remembering!



Let’s take Dirty Dancing.

“Nobody puts Baby in the corner”

Image result for dirty dancingSimply, the most recognised line from the film, and the start of the best scene in history. Johnny Castle and Frances “Baby” Houseman: my fav couple ever!!! Set in the summer of 1963… what I would give to be dancing with Patrick Swayze to “I’ve had the time of my life” (but he would more than likely have broken his back trying to lift me, but hey ho)



Both of these films had a great impact on my music taste when I was younger. Grease in particular got me into Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and Dirty Dancing – Solomon Burke. Although at that age, I didn’t know who the artists really were – I always sang along anyway – until I was able to appreciate who was singing the songs I enjoyed – leading to new music discoveries.


My hope for generations to come is that they watch these films. Appreciate them as much as I did. Keep them alive -  keep the music alive. 

Comments

Popular Posts